As the main and biggest football stadium of Rome, Italy, the Stadio Olimpico was originally named as the Stadio dei Cipressi. Under the direction of a famous engineer Angelo Frisa, the construction work has been put into practice in 1927. It was completed successfully finally in 1932. For the breaking out of the Second World War, the project has been interrupted for several years.
In 1960, the stadium has been taken as a football stadium for opening and closing ceremonies of that years’ Summer Olympics. Some seats at ground level has been demolished for the real capacity of 65,000 spectators. For the successful holding of the 1990 FIFA World Cup, the football stadium has experienced an extensive refurbishment. The original construction has been amended several times for real needs, leading to the rise of costs.
In 2017, a comprehensive restyling scheme was implemented to consistent with the UEFA standards. Compared with previous football stadium, the dressing rooms and press rooms have been fixed and improved.